personal opinions + non-bias in the trump administration //



In journalism school, we are taught the importance of non-bias. We are taught to not take sides, to sit quietly and observe, to write only the facts. Observation, not participation.

Not choosing sides was one of the things that appealed to me the most about this field--and it's something that, before, I was very good at. I am the mediator of my family, able to see everyone's side of the story. Not one for hard opinions, I'd spend hours muddling through the grey area of moral decisions, only to come out the other side with no clue what to think or say. My political views in the United States had always, until recently, sat firmly at the intersection of Democrat and Republican--a true centrist. So having the ability to be non-biased, to seemingly have no real opinion--that worked perfectly for me.

It is a cruel irony, however, that, for the first year of my journalistic career, my first "real" year of hiding my bias, I am faced with a challenge that's--well, that's huge. 

In the past nine days, my heart has been heavy, and my eyes have burned, every time I log on to twitter to find that another executive order has passed. Crazy things are happening. Bad things are happening. People don't trust the media, and our current president keeps calling legitimate news sources "fake news." . [And do the New York Times, Wash. Post, CNN slant left? Yes, admittedly, a little. But they are still the most reliable news sources in the country] I don't know what to think. I don't know what to do. This isn't my country, I keep thinking--but it is, now, I guess.

This is no more a decision between Democrat and Republican, liberal or conservative. This is about being a compassionate human being. And so, despite attempting to keep a non-biased opinion on the state of my country, I have to say--I am neither pro Democrat or Republican,but I am anti-Donald Trump. I am pro-woman. I am pro-refugees, pro-immigrant. And to all those, peacefully protesting in the streets, calling their reps--thank you. In the midst of the darkness, the spiral of bad news, you provide a light.

Keep on keepin' on.






Latest Instagrams

© Roots + Roads. Design by Fearne.