year in review | 2014

some of my favorite photos from 2014. 

2014 was a test in endurance, a long marathon, no matter how cheesy it sounds, in how strong i truly am. I moved away from home, to a place where I knew hardly anyone in the clutches of a terrifyingly cold winter. I trudged across campus lonelier than I have ever been, yet stubbornly hopeful that things would be better, if I could just get through this day and the next and the next. And it was, because after four months, the sun came out and there were blissfully golden days mixed in with a sort of sadness lingering in my peripheral vision. I learned, quickly, that you have to let go and relinquish control, that you can not always fix things. I also learned that things have a strange way of working out, that the universe (and the man upstairs) has a plan-and suddenly, my fears and uncertainties worked themselves out and I knew what I wanted to study. Then it was summer; I moved home and received a humbling lesson in the form of old classmates and minimal wage jobs. My spare time was spent in the passenger seat of my friends' cars, hopping from field to field, cameras in tow. Mom and dad bought a sailboat and I fell head over heels with the rocking and swaying, salt air whipping the sails and the excitement found in standing at the front of a pitching craft. September arrived; I moved back to Amherst and ran myself ragged, 20 credits and two jobs, hours spent at bus stops and infrequent runs to a special meadow right outside of campus. Friendships were frayed from stress, while others bloomed. I fell into bed every night and instantly fell asleep, woke up early and drank too much coffee. It was worth it, though, to see my pictures run on the front pages of our school paper, watch the number on my bank statements increase and my newstories come back with A's on the top. And, mostly, it was all worth it when the letter from Mannheim arrived and I found out that my biggest dream, to study abroad, was happening. I survived finals week, packed up and moved home to work a little more. 

And now, here I am, waiting for my life to flip itself inside out and upside down again. But now, I know that I can handle anything, and I am excited. 2015 is going to be my year-I have big plans for it. So thanks, 2014-you were like an older brother, testing my limits while teaching me that everything was going to be okay. And despite what you put me through, I'm going to miss you a little. 

what was your favorite part of 2014?

    Latest Instagrams

    © Roots + Roads. Design by Fearne.