block island pt. 4// top 3 trails + fields to explore

Block Island

One of the great things about Block Island is that so much of the island is protected + considered conservation land. That being said, I tried to see as much of that as I could, and explored some pretty cool places-here are my top three favorite hiking trails//preserves from the trip.

1. Hodge Preserve

Block Island

Appearently, this is the only picture I have of Hodge Preserve? {?????} which is out of character for me, but hey, it happens. I went here with my mom one afternoon and it was a big hit with both of us. It's more of a walk than a hike; the trails are lined with honeysuckle and there comes a point where you emerge into this series of fields that are separated by stone walls, and there's this little house peeking out from one of the sloping hills, so all that you can see is where the roof meets.....it's kind of always what I expected the countryside of England to look like, and all around it's just a super beautiful stretch of land. {Careful though; there's not really any shade, so either come later in the day or armed with sunblock}

2. Rodman's Preserve

Block Island

Block Island

Block Island

Block Island
Rodman's Hollow has a large network of trails-you could probably explore it for hours and still not see everything. My family and I took the main one that led from where we parked straight down to the ocean, where we climbed down a {slightly treacherous} slope down to the ocean. What I really loved was the size; Rodman's Hollow is so large, you felt like the only person left in the world, which, in my opinion, is an equally peculier and wonderful feeling.

3. The Labyrinth

Block Island

Block Island

Block Island
I'm not sure what to call the Labyrinth exactly, because it really isn't hiking, or a nature trail. Instead, it's a spot that was designed for meditation-there's a round maze, and you're meant to walk on the path in a dizzying trail to the center, and meditate while you do it. I used it as a spot to take photos of my sister and her friend {coming soon!}, so i didn't have time to try the path, but it's a really interesting spot to check out anyways.




in case you missed it....



Image Map

Latest Instagrams

© Roots + Roads. Design by Fearne.